The Holy Archangel Michael is one of the most celebrated of the Angels and bodiless powers; he is called the Archistrategos, or chief commander, of all the bodiless powers. According to Holy Scripture and Tradition, he has interceded for humanity multiple times and continues to serve as the Defender of the Faith. St Michael is most often invoked for protection from invasion by enemies and from civil war, and for the defeat of adversaries on the field of battle. He is celebrated primarily on November 8, the Synaxis of Michael and all the Bodiless Powers of Heaven; September 6 also marks the miracle of the Archangel at Colossae.
Troparion (Tone 4)
- Commanders of the heavenly hosts,
- we who are unworthy beseech you,
- by your prayers encompass us beneath the wings of your immaterial glory,
- and faithfully preserve us who fall down and cry to you:
- "Deliver us from all harm, for you are the commanders of the powers on high!"
Kontakion (Tone 2)
- Commanders of God's armies and ministers of the divine glory,
- princes of the bodiless angels and guides of mankind,
- ask for what is good for us, and for great mercy,
- supreme commanders of the Bodiless Hosts.